Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright....


A week ago there was an "Open Mic" event in my school. There everybody shared their talent, either by singing or beat-boxing, or even reading a poem (which could be theirs but could be another person's that has inspired them).

I participated in the "singing part" with two boys- Stefcho and Toni. Stefcho beat-boxed, Toni sang the verses and I sang the chorus. I was so stressed that you cannot imagine. I had to sing only the chorus which was two lines and was so anxious. I stood there next to my friends and could feel my whole body shaking and getting hotter and hotter. Thank God, there were my friends. They were standing right next to me and were calming me down. At some point, it worked but after that came our turn and I became even more nervous. We went in front of the audience and I could imagine my face-full with fear. Stefcho started his part and Toni joined him. I could feel all the faces looking at me. I knew that my part was coming and had to handle myself. I looked towards my friends and there they were, standing so late in school for me. Then I heard the last word of the verse and I started to sing. I opened my mouth and the words just went out of there. Some of my friends stood up and started clapping and my confidence came back to me. When I finished, Toni continued with the second verse. I was so pleased that hadn't lost my conscience (;d). When we finished, I could hear the clapping of the whole audience and something in my made me smile. There was it, my minute of fame.

During that "concert" there were a lot of things that I liked. The two poems I most liked were one, written by a student whose name is Deya, and the other one, written by the poet William Blake and was read by a teacher in the school.

The poem written by Deya cannot be described. It was just an expression of her feelings and she had done that in such a beautiful way.

The other poem was "The Tyger." The teacher that presented it read the text with such strength, with power in his voice. He made the audience repeat the first verse several times till we learn it. I still remember it. This poem filled me with so different feeling. You have to feel it in order to understand it and that is what the teacher made us. We took part in the reading and in that way, I believe, everybody understood it.

"Open Mic" event was a very interesting, intriguing event, that I would really like to be repeated.

Here I will post you the poem "The Tyger."

The Tyger

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright,
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire in thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, and what art?
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand, and what dread feet?

What the hammer? What the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? What dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb, make thee?

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright,
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?


William Blake





No comments:

Post a Comment